Thursday, July 24, 2014

Preternatural Obsessional: The Haunting of Julia (1977)



Sometimes I get lost with a movie. I don't know why, I just find myself watching it over and over and not just as background noise. I wouldn't say the movies are good or even favorites, they just fill the moment just right. The Haunting of Julia (AKA: Full Circle) starring Mia Farrow has been the latest.

It's a story about a woman who's daughter (one of the future heads of Princess Mombi in the 1985 flick Return to Oz starring Fairuza Balk) dies in the beginning of the movie. In pure horror fashion, the event is very traumatic and turns Julia's (Mia Farrow) life upside down, setting her up for a move into, surprise! a haunted house. I think the draw, for me, is the visually, pure 70's cinematography-- life seen through a pearlized filter as if you're watching a dream, echoing the life of Farrow's better well known horror incarnation, Rosemary Woodhouse in Rosemary's Baby 10 years earlierThe movie is also deliciously English where big, white conservatory-like teahouses, and period architectural homes heavy with antique's, style and character thrive. The story flows pretty seamlessly with a good bit of mystery, creepy murderous kids, plotting money-hungry husbands and sister-in-laws, and a séance to compound the suspicions and fears of the main character. Nothing too brazenly original, but enjoyable-- and for some reason, for me, (if I can't think of anything else to watch) in heavy rotation.


It's currently available streaming on Netflix and on YouTube.

No comments: